What can we do for you ?
Frequently asked questions
Before contacting us, please look if your question is already answered.
Also, make sure to 1) install the latest version of Thymio Suite on your computer 2) Update your robot
The possible explanations and solutions are:
- Your cable is defective or loose:
Try again with a different micro-USB cable.
- You have not installed the drivers on your computer (Windows):
Under Windows, Thymio must be recognized by the computer to be charged. Unplug your robot and try to download and install Thymio Suite.
- Your Thymio is fully discharged:
Symptoms are generally:
- A robot with red LEDs lit
- No response to touching the buttons or by the robot in general
- Can’t turn it on
- Flashes and unexpected beeps.
Follow the following procedure:
- Connect the robot to a wall charger.
- Reset the robot (small hole on the left of the robot)
- If the robot is still not responding: allow it to charge for at least 2 hours with the wall charger, then plug and unplug the robot several times until it reacts or turns off. The red charging led near the cable must be the only one lit. Leave the robot on charge for 2 hours.
- Your battery is faulty (very rare)
The usual symptom is a robot that charges very quickly, the blue led near the cable showing the end of charging lights after a few minutes. Nevertheless once unplugged the robot’s autonomy is almost zero. Sometimes both the red and blue LEDs close to the cable light up at the same time.
If you are in this situation, fill the problem resolution form
Thymio Suite is available on different operating system. Installing Thymio Suite will allow you to connect to your Thymio from your computer, and program (Aseba, VPL, Blockly, Scratch), configure or update it.
To install Thymio Suite follow this link and click on the “Download” button that is under the operating system you use.
To program Thymio, you must first download and install Thymio Suite, then connect your robot (turn it on, then connect it via cable or wireless dongle). The official programming languages of Thymio are the one available in Thymio Suite:
- Aseba Studio
There is no way you can erase Thymio’s basic behaviours by programming it.
If you programmed Thymio and want to access the basic behaviours again:
- Unplug Thymio or unplug the Wireless dongle of Thymio
- Turn off your robot
- Turn it on again
- Download and install the last version of Thymio Suite.
- Connect Thymio to your computer with the USB cable.
- Start Thymio Suite
- In the tools, click on Thymio Firmware Upgrader.
- Select Latest official firmware and click on Upgrade.
- When the bar is at 100% you can quit the Thymio Firmware Upgrader.
Do not use any other .hex files not designed for Thymio! This could permanently damage your robot.
Out of the box, your Wireless Thymio robot and its dongle are correctly configured and ready to use. There is no need to configure anything for normal use!
If you want to create a network with several Thymio connected together and on one single dongle, you must satisfy the following conditions:
- All the robots must be on the same channel
- All the robots must have the same network identifier
- Each robot must have a different and unique node identifier. Do not modify this value!
Note: We advise not to group more than 6 robots in one network with one single dongle (with firmware 13+ and Thymio Suite)
If you want to program different robots independently each with one dongle, you must satisfy the following conditions:
- Spread the different robots you use at the same time on the three channels
- Each robot must have a different and unique network identifier
- Each robot must have a different and unique node identifier. Do not modify this value!
How to pair the robots and dongles
On the computer:
- Plug your dongle into your computer.
- Open the “Wireless Thymio Network Configurator” (in the tools when you start Thymio Suite).
- Choose a channel either 0, 1 or 2 (it must be the same channel for robots in the same network. default channel is 1).
- You can choose a network identifier (default 0x404F).
- Do not change the dongle node identifier.
- Press “Enable pairing”
On the Wireless Thymio robot:
- Turn on your Wireless Thymio robot (if it was already turned on, turn it off and turn it on again.)
- Put the Wireless Thymio into configuration mode by touching both the right and left buttons for 3 seconds and select the light purple mode by touching several times the right button, then validate by touching the centre button.
- The dongle and Thymio red LED must flash at the same frequency. Bring the Thymio and the dongle close to each others until that is the case.
- Turn Thymio off (touch the centre button for several seconds), to save the configuration.
Back on the computer:
- Press Flash into dongle to save the new settings.
You can follow our problem resolution form. It will allow you to diagnose the problem, to solve it yourself if possible, or to register your request so that our after-sales service can contact you.
If you let your finger on the button too long, it won’t be detected anymore.
The solution is simple: Do not touch the button for 5 seconds.
Note: this only works with programs developed with VPL, Blockly or Studio.
Normally, if you program Thymio and then turn it off, the program you created is erased.If you want your program to stay in memory, you can flash one program in the permanent memory of the robot. Doing so will create a 7th basic behaviour which will have no colour. This colourless mode will be your program.To save the code in Thymio II:
- Once you have written your program in Aseba Studio, press Stop, then Run
- Click on “Tools” -> “Write the program(s) …” -> “… inside Thymio-II”. (if you renamed your robot, you will see the new name instead of “Thymio-II”)
- Check in the window of the event if “Flashing OK” appears.
In order to erase your additional program, simply update the robot.Note: this only works with programs developed with VPL, Blockly or Studio.
We advise you to use very low storage card (not bigger than 8GB if possible). Avoid the very high storage cards of types XD, UC or HC if you can. More information on SD cards here: https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/capacity/index.html
In the behaviour-selection menu, simultaneously touch the left and right buttons for 3 seconds (see picture) to enter the settings menu.
Then choose the setting you want to adjust.
Orange mode to change the volume
You can tune the volume of the Thymio by pressing the “front” or the “back” button. The volume is displayed on the robot using the yellow LED circle. To save your choice and exit the setting mode, just power Thymio off by pressing the central button for 3 seconds.
Green mode to change the motor calibration
Print this pdf file and tape it to a table or to the ground. (print the file on two A4 pages at 100 % and tape them together; alternatively, print on a single A3 page.) Place the robot between the lines and run the pre-programmed obedient (purple) behaviour, which enables you to control the forward speed of the robot. If the robot remains between the lines for 40 cm, calibration is not needed; otherwise, carry out the following procedure:
- Choose the light green mode in the setting mode menu.
- The “front” and “back” buttons make the robot move forward and backward. Press them once, twice or three times to modify its speed. You can check if the robot travels straight at different speeds. We advise you to choose the middle speed for more robustness.
- The “left” and “right” buttons increase or decrease the correction in the direction of travel: If the robot turns right, press the left button several times to correct the direction until it goes straight, and conversely if it turns left, press the right button several times. The more times you press, the bigger the correction.
- When the robot goes straight, press the central button for 3 seconds. This will turn off the robot and store the correction values in the long-term memory.
- Power on the robot and check the results of the calibration by running the pre-programmed obedient (purple) behaviour.
Here is a video showing a calibration example:
Purple mode to activate the wireless module pairing
Thymio VPL Mobile preview is a test application available on the Play Store. It is not maintained or supported and will not be developed in the future.
We advise not to develop educational material based on this application since it is destined to disappear.
We are currently looking for better solutions to allow the use of Thymio on tablets.
Thymio is not working properly?
Please fill the Thymio check-up form to get an answer from the support team
Thymio is the perfect open source robot to assist the teacher in the digital education era. Thymio has been initiated by the MOBOTS group at EPFL with the help of partners and is commercialized by the nonprofit association MOBSYA in Renens, Switzerland.
LEGO®is a trademark of the LEGO Group of companies which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site and the Thymio products.
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License